Portal opening



Ramblings about life . . .

What I share about my life is simply to help reinforce the understanding that it is possible to live with love and laughter, even with tough times.

Life is what we make of it, no matter how harrowing. We accept and embody this with-in ourselves, thereby allowing the energy to manifest outwardly in our reality.

It starts with each one of us as an individual to form the collective consciousness.

Be the dream.

We honour the light and the life within you.

I upload other bloggers' posts and then delete after a month. This is my journey and others help me understand where I am, until they become irrelevant (a few posts excepted).




Wednesday 1 September 2010

Venice, Italy summer holidays 2001

Venice_waterfront

Venice - "... is a city in northeastern Italy sited on a group of 118 small islands separated by canals and linked by bridges. It is located in the marshy Venetian Lagoon which stretches along the shoreline, between the mouths of the Po and the Piave Rivers. Venice is renowned for the beauty of its setting, its architecture and its artworks. The city in its entirety is listed as a World Heritage Site, along with its lagoon. The name is derived from the ancient Veneti people who inhabited the region by the 10th century BC."



 
We spent the day in Venice. We were still camping in Verona, using it as our base to explore the areas around us. The drive didn't take long.

We took a water ferry (like a public bus) down the Grand Canal to reach San Marco.

My initial impression was very disappointing - the waterways filled with litter, jostling crowds of people, dilapidated old buildings, graffiti and junk everywhere giving it an air of neglect - it was simply a place to live as everyone 'got by in life' as best they could. I'd been indoctrinated with the idea that everything had to be clean and well looked after - I was, after all, from a young westernised country where nothing was older than a couple of hundred years - culturally or architecturally. I'd forgotten about the ageless culture of Europe where many man made objects had been around far longer than I could even begin to imagine.

This disappointment made me irritable and grumpy. I was not happy to be there. My mom noticed this and asked what was wrong. I told her. She seemed surprised as she found the place charming and encouraged me to look beyond what I could see. It took a while after the initial shock, but I did manage to get past seeing the grime and decay to find the timeless romantic beauty of Venice which I wholeheartedly embraced, thus changing my mood to a happy one. This change in perception has been with me ever since. Nothing is ever as it looks once you scratch beneath the surface and it is our choice whether we enjoy it or not.

After wandering around the very overpriced crowded tourist parts of Venice, especially the glass blowing and beautiful masks, we had an expensive bite to eat sitting on the steps of a church and then took a walk down the 'side canals' to find the real Venice. We got horribly lost and found many dead-ends but in getting lost, saw so much including a tower that seemed to be the Venetian version of the leaning tower. Not using a map and getting lost always produces amazing results. I'd highly recommend it!


 

 

 

 

 

 

Canon Venezia
Basilica San Marco
Bell tower of St Mark
Stopping for lunch
 

Piazza San Marco
Santa Maria della Salute
Can you see us in the crowd?
Rialto Bridge
 

Greg and I
 

 

The children and I

The family
Venice's own leaning tower - Basilica
Via Guiseppe Garibaldi