Portal opening



Ramblings about life . . .

What I share about my life is simply to help reinforce the understanding that it is possible to live with love and laughter, even with tough times.

Life is what we make of it, no matter how harrowing. We accept and embody this with-in ourselves, thereby allowing the energy to manifest outwardly in our reality.

It starts with each one of us as an individual to form the collective consciousness.

Be the dream.

We honour the light and the life within you.

I upload other bloggers' posts and then delete after a month. This is my journey and others help me understand where I am, until they become irrelevant (a few posts excepted).




Sunday 5 April 2020

Well, hello there!

It's been a while since I blogged.

Life has been pretty full on over the last almost two years.

I'd like to say all of it was good, but it wasn't. More difficulties than something to smile about.

My job is still good. I'm paid very well and have received regular excellent increases. So this part of my life has been okay...except for the stress. Somehow instead of just being a team lead, it's slowly morphed into being a manager. The more you do, the more your expected to do. It took a while to recognise this.



Always one to rise to the challenge, I've taken this in my stride...mostly. Unfortunately my health has suffered. Add to this the fact that I have gone into full blown menopause which brings its own challenges.

Slowly but surely I've managed to sort the menopause symptoms out through trial and error. It takes a while for any natural products to kick in, so it's months at a time trying out different things.

Finally found a product that has been helpful, together with cutting out alcohol and sugar, completely changing my diet although we didn't eat badly anyways, but I was not taking any chances. But despite my health slowly sorting itself out, I was still suffering with night sweats, hot flushes and terrible sleep. What the hell is causing it?

As a sleep physiologist I know how detrimental lack of sleep can be to the body and that added more stress.

Oh yeah, we were on the brink of returning to the UK towards end of 2018 as Greg couldn't find a job. I interviewed with my old Sleep Lab and they offered me a Deputy Manager position, but I turned it down as Greg had in the meanwhile found a job at the hospital as an attendant. He was reluctant as he hates hospitals stemming from his army days as a medic. But remarkably has fallen in love with the job - no responsibility and can chat all day with both staff and patients.

I said goodbye to my work colleague and friend who came over from the UK more or less the same time as I did. He decided NZ wasn't for him, returned first to the UK, then on to settle back in Texas to be with his family.

In amongst all of this is our incredible current Clinical Director of Respiratory who fell into the position accidentally. She's our Sleep Physician and knows the ins and outs of Sleep Clinic and is one of the (what I would call) new heart centred leaders, just like our PM Jacinda. They are in the same category of service to all with empathy rather than the long held stance of service to self. This is such a relief.

Our son in the stayed in the UK for a year, then decided to come back to NZ April last year and try his luck again. With a British passport he was able to stay as a visitor for 9 months applying for jobs, until Immigration NZ changed the visa rules in September, which buggered up his plans. He left to go back to UK in January this year.

Our daugher and her fiance in the meanwhile set their wedding date for October this year. We went dress shopping last year when we were in Sydney, which was fun.

My stepdad in South Africa passed away mid 2019. My mum has been okay but finding it difficult.

My dear and lovely cousin in here in NZ, after a year long battle with lung cancer, passed away towards end of December 2019, leaving behind a devastated husband and 13 year old son.

Kitties in the sun

Wisteria - beautiful surprise
 We moved house last year during winter (June 2019) into a quiet family oriented neighbourhood as our student neighbours were getting noisier and noisier.

Lol, as you know my hubby is not one to keep his mouth shut. But despite this not much changed and we made the difficult decision to pack up and move home.

We were sad to leave as we had poured so much love into the beautiful garden and our landlady...what can I say about her except that she is a wonderful kindhearted soul. Fortunately we found something really good, or rather Traevis and I did as Greg was working.

Christmas day
View over gully from deck
We've grown to love being there. There is a stream running through the property. The gully is full of trees. We cannot see any of our neighbours across the gully which makes it feel like we are in the countryside. But we're a 10 minute walk from the local mall and 15 minute drive to work. Very central but lovely and quiet.

It's been a surprise and pleasure watching all the plants wake up or suddenly peek out as spring arrived. It must have been a well loved garden and house before becoming a rental.

We had a very enjoyable Christmas. It's been a while since we were all together at that time of year.

 
There was a stage in February I just wanted to say "fuck it all" and run away. But I plodded on, always mindful of my amazing team. Buzzing around in my mind was "I need a break" but couldn't figure out how to do so without leaving everyone in the lurch and jeopardising my visa. Oh lol yes the visa...again!

We are able to apply for permanent residency between March and August this year, but of course who knows if this will be possible with COVID-19 putting a spanner in the works as we need police checks and medicals.

On 4 March I was walking through the hospital grounds after work with Greg on our way to the car. I slipped off the footpath landed sideways on my ankle whilst falling downhill. I broke my fall with my hands and nearly smacked my head on the concrete. Felt like someone had pushed me, the fall was that hard. I just remember thinking "watch out for your head", which I did, otherwise I reckon I may have had a lot more damage.
Flowers from work

Best place to do it as it was the change of shifts so there were a lot of medical staff around to help and assess. A wheelchair was collected from the hospital to the top of a flight of stairs up which I was carried. From there Greg wheeled me to ED. With his quick witted humorous words and friendliness, he is a well known figure around the hospital, having access to ALL departments, he knew exactly where to go and what to do. I was in safe hands...of course with my hubby I always am and this was no exception. Still didn't stop the long wait though.

5 days later bruised and swollen
X-rays (confirming fractured fibula), crutches, a moonboot, instructions to take 2 weeks off work, I was discharged home.

I returned to the fracture clinic on 18 March, had further x-rays and am back at work on light duties part time for another 4 weeks.

Last year I started mentoring one of my colleagues to take over leadership should the need arise. How well timed was that! He took over and despite a few wobbly starts has been doing well. I guide from the sidelines.

I got the break I needed! Lol literally and figurately. Since I've not been in charge, my stress has reduced and I'm enjoying life more and guess what? NO MORE FLUSHES or NIGHT SWEATS. I am sleeping well at night. Yay! Oh how I missed my sleep. One of my super powers has always been the ability to sleep well.



Enter corona virus. That's a story for another day.




No comments: